These real food energy bars are a great alternative to commercially made bars that you will find in your local gym or outdoor adventure store. They contain no hidden nasties (ie preservatives, flavours and seed oils) plus, they are super simple to make and oodles cheaper!
- 13 medijool dates, pitted
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 3/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2 Tbs coconut oil
- 1Tbs raw cacao
- 2 Tbs water
The how to:
- Mix the almonds & cashews in a high speed food processor and until they are a fine crumb. I prefer mine to be a little crunchy. Set aside
- Mix the shredded coconut and coconut oil in the food processor until it becomes coconut butter. This will take a few minutes.
- Add the dates and water to the coconut butter and mix together well.
- Add in the nuts and raw cacao and mix until a dough forms.
- Line a slice tin with non toxic baking paper. Pack the mixture down firmly using your palms. (Tip: If you want really square bars, use another slice tin the same size on top of the mixture to press it out evenly)
- Place in the fridge to set for 2 hours and then cut into bars using a sharp knife or pizza cutter.